Deltapine plans to launch five new cotton varieties, including two new Bollgard 3 XtendFlex cotton varieties with resistance to both reniform and root-knot nematodes, as part of its Class of ’21. They were announced during the 2020 Deltapine New Product Evaluator Summit held virtually for the first time.
“The Class of ’20 varieties set the bar so high that I expected it to be tough to advance many candidates out of NPE for the Class of ’21,” said Keylon Gholston, Deltapine cotton products manager. “However, two varieties that advanced for the Class of ’21 — DP 2115 B3XF and DP 2127 B3XF — stood out from a performance perspective, showing potential to yield above DP 1646 B2XF and the Class of ’20 varieties.”
Two nematode-resistant Bollgard 3 XtendFlex cotton varieties showing resistance to both reniform and root-knot nematodes — one for the southern United States and one for the Midsouth and Texas — were also named to the Deltapine Class of ’21.
“These two new varieties — DP 2141NR B3XF and DP 2143NR B3XF — give us Belt-wide coverage for growers who have fields with reniform or root-knot nematode pressure,” Gholston said. “Both of these varieties demonstrated very competitive yield potential on non-nematode fields, but especially shined under nematode pressure.”
With DP 2123 B3XF, Deltapine brings another DryTough cotton variety into the West Texas market in the Class of ’21. This variety for the Northern High Plains has a larger seed size, demonstrated excellent seedling vigor and stand establishment potential, and showed very competitive yield potential under light water and moderate water irrigation capacities.
The five new Deltapine Class of ’21 varieties were evaluated by NPE growers in all regions of the Cotton Belt. The results of the growers’ large-acre variety plots and their feedback on management and performance were instrumental in determining the Class of ’21.
The Deltapine Class of ’21 cotton varieties are:
• DP 2115 B3XF (tested in NPE as 19R113B3XF) is an early maturity Bollgard 3 XtendFlex variety that showed outstanding yield potential in NPE plots and demonstrated good storm tolerance.
• DP 2123 B3XF (tested as 19R228B3XF) is an early to mid-maturity Bollgard 3 XtendFlex variety that demonstrated the ability to perform under heat and drought stress and strong seedling vigor.
• DP 2127 B3XF (tested as 19R227B3XF) is an early to mid-maturity Bollgard 3 XtendFlex variety that showed solid performance in NPE plots across the Belt with high yield potential.
• DP 2141NR B3XF (tested as 19R238NRB3XF) is a mid- to full-maturity Bollgard 3 XtendFlex variety showing resistance to both reniform and root-knot nematodes with outstanding yield potential.
• DP 2143NR B3XF (tested as 19R242NRB3XF) is a mid- to full-maturity Bollgard 3 XtendFlex variety showing resistance to reniform and root-knot nematodes and moderate tolerance to Verticillium wilt.
Deltapine contributed this article.