The Alabama Cooperative Extension System agronomic crops team is excited to announce the 2023 Alabama Row Crops Short Course. This statewide conference is held each year. Join the team for an opportunity to hear the latest information from researchers, industry representatives and Extension professionals about row crop management and production in Alabama.
When: Dec. 14 at 10 a.m. through Dec. 15 at 1:30 p.m.
Where: The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center, 241 S College St, Auburn, AL 36830
There is no registration fee for the short course if participates register by November 30. After November 30, there is an attendance cost of $40. To register, visit the Alabama Extension website calendar here.
Find the agenda for the Alabama Row Crops Short Course below.
Book a room at The Hotel at Auburn University for the duration of the Alabama Row Crops Short Course. Find a direct link to book rooms here.
There are three levels of sponsorship available for the Alabama Row Crops Short Course. Find more information about becoming a sponsor here.
Alabama Row Crops Short Course Agenda
On Thursday, Dec. 14, the Alabama Row Crops Short Course will open with a market and drone technology session followed by a panel to discuss the challenges of the 2023 season. In the afternoon, the agenda will include sessions focused on cotton and peanut management strategies. At the end of the first day, there will be a social gathering. On Friday, Dec. 15, the agenda includes a general crop production session including weather, nutrients, diseases and grain crops management.
Thursday, Dec. 14
Morning Session Topics – 10 a.m. to Noon
- Commodity Markets
- William Maples, Mississippi State University
- Use of Drones for Improving Crop Management and Productivity
- Simer Virk, University of Georgia
- Panel – Challenges of the 2023 Row Crop Season
- Ag consultants
Afternoon Session Topics – 1 to 5 p.m.
- Current and Future Opportunities for the United States Cotton Industry
- Kater Hake, Cotton Incorporated
- Cotton Update
- Steven Brown, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
- Thryvon Technology
- Scott Graham, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
- Managing Cotton Diseases
- Amanda Strayer-Scherer, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
- Peanut Update
- Kris Balkcom, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
- Peanut Disease Risk Index (Peanut RX)
- Robert Kemerait, University of Georgia
- Where are my Nutrients? A Tale of Nutrient Cycling in Alabama Farms
- Rishi Prasad, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
Friday, Dec. 15
Morning Session Topics – 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- The Alabama Drought Reach Program
- Brianne Minton, Auburn University
- Endangered Species and Regulations
- Stanley Culpepper, University of Georgia
- Climate Outlook
- Eric Snodgrass, Nutrien
- Grain Crops Update
- Eros Francisco, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
- Weed Management Update
- David Russell, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
- Managing Hessian Fly
- Katelyn Kesheimer, Alabama Extension at Auburn University
- Nutrient Management in Row Crops
- Audrey Gamble, Auburn University
Thank you to the Alabama Cotton Producers, the Alabama Soybean Producers and the Wheat and Feed Grain Producers committees for sponsoring the program!
The following Certified Crop Adviser CEUs will be offered at the short course:
- Nutrient Management – 1.0 CEU
- Soil & Water Management – 1.0 CEU
- Integrated Pest Management – 3.0 CEUs
- Crop Management – 2.0 CEUs
- Professional Development – 0.5 CEU
- Precision Agriculture – 0.5 CEU
Pesticide points will also be available.
For more information about the conference or sponsorships, contact Eros Francisco at email@example.com.